Saturday 20 December 2014

In which I learn how to work blinds



I thought that you might enjoy this somewhat amusing story of something that happened to me earlier this year :)


Earlier this year I spent a few weeks living in a dorm. It had one window, adorned with blinds, that faced the parking lot and my bed was beneath it. On the first night once we had closed the blinds and climbed into bed I discovered that the bright lights outside were not held at bay by the white blinds and kept me awake. Besides this fact, my room mate and I were woken up at 2am by an alarm clock. My alarm clock that had somehow been broken during the trip and didn't go off at the time it was set to. Great way to start out with my room mate! (Luckily she didn't hold that against me and we became good friends. She is awesome by the way.) After that we used her alarm clock.

With no more misbehaving alarm clocks I still had the nuisance of the lights outside that persistently shone all night. Our attempts at solutions didn't yield wonderful results. We tried hanging things onto the blinds and I spent two nights sleeping on my mattress on the floor. That wasn't a very thought through plan as the base of the bed was not solid so it really didn't make much difference.

Two weeks later we were both sitting on my bed and suddenly she has the idea to turn the blinds shut the other way, with the slats facing up instead of down.

It took us two weeks to discover how to work the blinds.

And to finish off with, on the last night during the couple hours sleep we did get between spending half the night lying in the passage talking and seeing people off we were again woken by an alarm clock. In a box. In another box on my room mate's desk.


No comments:

Post a Comment